I finally had an opportunity to make some bread and butter pickles out of my Mexican Sour Gerhkin harvest.
I used a recipe that I found on pintrest and made a few alterations. For starters, I had to double the recipe for the amount of cucumbers I harvested. Due to availability, I could not get ahold of mustard seeds so I used ground mustard instead. I also did not submerge the jars into water to seal them.
The brine itself smelled so very yummy while it was simmering. Very aromatic! Since I did not want to locate, unbury, and clean the large canning pot I had to go with a refrigerator pickling method. After the brine was ready to come off the heat, I allowed it to cool.
After the brine was cooled it was time to fill and close the jars. 3 jars in total for this harvest and more are still growing.
Pickled Mexican Sour Gerhkins
- Mexhican sour gerhkins, rinsed and cut in half
- Kosher Salt
- 1 Small Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1/2 cup Sugar, I used Cane Sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, I used ground mustard which requires another 1/2 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds, add more or less to your liking
- 1/4 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, add more or less to your liking
- Rinse off the mexican sour gerhkins. These can be pickled whole but I prefere to cut them all in half. Pat dry with a towel and place into a bowl filled with some kosher salt. This will help dry them out a little bit. Leave in bowl for an hour. Remove from bowl and rinse off excess salt. Add onion slices to cucumebr and set aside until ready.
- Add apple cider vinegar, sugar, and all spices in a sauce pan. Allow the brine to come to a boil over medium-low heat. Stirring occassionaly until all the sugar has been dissolved. Then remove from heat and allow to cool a little bit before pouring
- Clean and prepare the Mason jars. Then evenly distribute the gerhkin and onion mixture int each mason jar. After the Brine has cooled off a little bit carefully begin pouring the liquid into each mason jar. Each jar should be filled enough to submerge all the gerhkins and onions.
- Place clean lids piece onto jars and allow to refrigerate for at least 24 hours. This allows the flavor to get into the gerhkins and onions. Dont forget to give the jar a shake to redistribute the flavors.